Sunday, July 21, 2013

Krispy Kale Farro Cakes (or Salad)!

Delightfully crunchy, savory and full of healthy kale and good for you grains, the Krispy Kale Farro Cake is here!  They are simple to make and really versatile.  You can stuff them into a burger bun, pita or roll it up in a big collard leaf with fixins, serve them up on top of a salad or pasta, or eat them alone as a snack.  You can also just eat the KKFC mixture (without cooking it into cakes) as a delish grain salad!

You can't go wrong.

KKFC with Sriracha flowers.

Krispy Kale Farro Cake Base (the Salad)
(Can be made gluten-free if brown rice is used instead of farro)

1 (8.8 oz) package "10 Minute Farro" (TJs makes it) prepared per package directions. 
(You can also make regular farro or use any other grain you wish, I just didn't test it with other grains. I'm sure brown rice, bulgur, barley, etc. would all be good).
1 cup cooked kidney beans 
(canned is OK, I used frozen ones that I had made from scratch)
1 large bunch fresh, organic kale, washed and chopped finely
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 tsp Kosher salt
*1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
*1 tsp sweet paprika 
*1 tsp ancho chili powder
freshly ground pepper to taste

*you can substitute any other herbs or spices you like here!*

Simply mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.  If you want a salad, you can stop here.  This yields a lovely grain salad:

Kale Farro Salad.

You can eat this as is, it's delicious! But, if it is CAKES your heart desires, press on...

Krispy Kale Farro Cakes:

Take 2 cups of the KKFC mixture and add about 1/4 cup of your favorite mayo and about 2 T. of matzoh meal.  If you want it drier, add more matzoh, if you want it moister, add more mayo.  If you want it gluten-free, use rice flour, chickpea flour, oat flour, etc. or a combo of those instead of matzoh.  I haven't tested a GF version, but I'm sure a GF version would work well.  If you want an oil-free, home made, vegan mayo, try Bryanna's recipe!

It will stick together when you squeeze it:

Form it into cakes (any size you like, really, just not *too* huge).


To cook them, heat a cast iron skillet for about three full minutes on medium heat.
The skillet will be nice and hot (but not too hot).  I linked to my skillet below.

Now, spray the pan evenly (or lightly coat) with some olive oil.  I love my Misto sprayer for this job (I linked to it below).

Cook the cakes for about 3 minutes, then re-spray or coat the pan and cook on the other side, about another 2-3 minutes, or until nice and golden brown.

Krispy Kale Farro Cake on my Cast Iron Crepe Pan.

When cooked like this, the raw kale in the salad gets lovely and crispy and tasty, (almost like kale chips!) and even the kale on the inside of the cake cooks through. YUM.

You could also grill them like I do my Black Bean Burgers of NJ:

The link to grilling instructions for the burgers/cakes is here.

I ate my KKFCs as is, served with sriracha.  They are addictive!

I hope you guys give this a try!!

Storage: I stored the salad mixture in my fridge and then just whipped up some cakes when I wanted them.  I ate it both as the salad and as cakes and loved it both ways.  The mixture lasts about a week or so in the fridge.  You can always make the cakes and let them cool, then freeze them.  If you wrap them well, I'm sure they will last for months in the freezer.  Just re-saute to cook them, it will just take a little longer than the 3 min per side since they will be frozen.

Equipment: I really love my cast iron crepe pan.  It gets nice and hot and cooks everything evenly.  Here's a link to it:


Also, here's a link to my Misto sprayer.  I spray the cakes on top really well and then I flip them.  It's easier than lifting the cake up, holding it on the spatula and using your other hand to pour oil into the pan.  That's just awkward!

I actually have two sprayers, one for olive oil and one for a neutral oil (like safflower, sunflower, organic canola, or you could use it for nut oils).  I just found this link to a 2-pack of Misto sprayers, and I wish I had known about it earlier! Only like $8 per sprayer if you get the 2-pack!


OK guys, stay cool! More warm weather recipes comin' atcha soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment