Friday, November 11, 2011

Party Prep

So, I made the Linguine (I used Fusili lunghi) with Basil-Cilantro Pesto and Artichokes from Veganomicon last night:

I saute the canned artichokes in olive oil, red onion and garlic for a good while until they get nice and toasted. This time I also added a can of white beans and sauteed those (with the artichokes) as well for added protein and nutrition.  They kinda fell apart and coated the noodles, adding interest to the pesto. I love this dish.

And my niece's first birthday is this weekend, so for her party, I am bringing Happy Birthday Gingerbread :-)

 I used the recipe from Vegan Lunch Box, and added the chopped, crystallized ginger on top.
Tomorrow I will dust it in organic powdered sugar for that lovely first snow effect.


 And I made Tamari Roasted Chickpeas from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan
I call these "popcorn peas," because they are kind of addictive like popcorn.  They will be a nice little snack for the party.

I used home made, from scratch organic chickpeas (pressure cooker, baby!) and organic, local (from my yard!) rosemary.

Can't wait to see my niece tomorrow!

What are you guys doing this weekend?  Do you have any special recipes planned?

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE roasted chickpeas! They change their texture and taste completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth, it is taking everything I have not to eat them before the party!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chickpeas look great! The pasta does too. Vcon can be a bit overwhelming but I'd like to try more from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some great dishes! Especially the artichoke dish. Yum!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love roasted chickpeas. I also love them toasted in a wok in a little olive oil. I see you're from Philadelphia — me too, though I don't live there now. Do you know The Urban Vegan? She's in Philly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your niece!. how fun is that gingerbread with lots of ginger.! and the roasted chickpeas look perfect.. they are soooo addictive! Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea! I toast chickers on the stove, too, but when I have to do a lot of them I roast them in the oven.

    I love The Urban Vegan's cookbook and use it a lot. I don't know her personally, though, unfortunately!

    If you are ever in town, let me know, we'll go to lunch or we can cook :-)

    XO

    ReplyDelete