Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First CSA 2012: Glazed Hakurei Turnip Salad

After patiently waiting for months, today was our first CSA pick up of the season! We were super excited.

 Our cute pick-up location: Healthworks Natural Food Store in Collingswood, NJ.
 Collingswood is SO cute!

 Onto the box! We weren't sure what to expect since Honey Brook was hit with a hale storm on May 24th that devastated many of the spring crops, including tens of thousands of heads of spring lettuce! Also damaged to untold levels were kale, collards, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, and one of my FAVORITES, fennel.  Sigh.  But, we had hope.

 Week 1 (all Local and Certified Organic): Red Leaf Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Spinach, Kale, Garlic Scapes, Hakurei Turnips, and Leeks! I thought this was a HUGE amount of produce from a farm that was just wrecked by a hail storm.

 The star of the show: Hakurei Turnips.  I was SO glad to try these for the very first time instead of the omnipresent radishes that one always gets in May. YES.

 Spring Snakes (garlic scapes!). Fun to use instead of scallions in various recipes.

Then, we had to de-rib, wash, dry and bag ALL THOSE GREENS.  I had forgotten how long that takes, and there were SO many greens!! It took like an hour to do them all.

 I had these bags from a while ago, I don't know that they really do anything to help slow the demise of produce, but I figured I'd try them since I had them.

 Here is everything, washed, dried and bagged, phew!

Now, onto the cooking!  We made Glazed Hakurei Turnip Salad, and it was AMAZING.

Here's the salad part:
 Red Leaf Lettuce (one head), Garlic Scapes (one long scape) and Organic Grape Tomatoes (not from the CSA).  The dressing was about 1 Tablespoon Jalapeno Olive Oil, the juice of one (organic) lemon, salt and pepper.  All of the cooking syrup from the Glazed Turnips was also added (amazing!!), the babies thrown in with the bath water, so to speak.

Glazed Hakurei Turnips garnished with Garlic Scapes. Here's the recipe I used, just use a non-dairy butter instead of dairy butter to make it vegan.  I had to reduce the recipe by 2/3 since I only had one bunch of the turnips, though.  We added all the turnips and their wonderful glaze to the greens above and it was STUPENDOUS.

I LOVE MY CSA! Thank you, Honey Brook :-)))

What did you guys get in your first CSA boxes, or if no CSA, what seasonal produce have you been cooking up?  Do tell!

9 comments:

  1. How exciting! I've always wanted to join a CSA but none by me work for a pick up time. I have to resort to the Farmers markets. Love, love harukei turnips! I ate them raw last year a lot; this is the first actual recipe I've seen for them. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so psyched since I never had Hakureis before! They are amazing raw, too. I actually sliced one up in the salad raw, but wanted to glaze most of them.
      :-)

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Yum! This salad looks so delicious! I will have to use our turnips in a salad. I have never thought about that. Thanks for always inspiring!
    Our CSA started in April and wow! I love all the fresh, local veggies :) It is time consuming cleaning them all though. One thing is certain, I have had to get very creative to use up all the veg we get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thanks, Pamela!!

      Prepping, cleaning and drying everything and THEN figuring out how to use it all is really tough, but worth it. I just have to get back into it!

      I have a TON of greens to use up in less than a week now...uh oh! Thinking an onion & greens pie (spinach & chard) is in order!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Those are some beautiful looking local vegetables. I hear there are cool things one can do with garlic scapes. Farm shares are fun! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all the pics - your CSA box was certainly FULL! Mine included the white turnips, radishes, spinach, scallions & lettuces. I also picked up a dozen eggs (extra) and got a full orientation to the CSA experience. It was a beautiful farm in Garrison, NY - Glynwood. So excited to get cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val!! Sounds like you scored an awesome box, too. I adore all these early summer goodies!

      Off to pick strawberries at our farm :-))))

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Dawn- I'm in the Honey Brook CSA and pick up in Collingswood too. Here are our adventures with the produce: http://occasionallyorganic.tumblr.com/tagged/CSA

    ReplyDelete