Sunday, July 15, 2012

Peanut Butter Bombshell Ice Cream!

Oh MY.


Peanut Butter Bombshell Ice Cream

This is Hannah Kaminsky's recipe from Vegan A La Mode, the dream vegan ice cream cookbook I've been waiting for since I started making vegan desserts.  Seriously, the recipes are astonishing, the photos crisp, clean and gorgeous, and it's BIG, providing hundreds of innovative ice cream recipes of all genres.  
It's a STEAL at about $12 on amazon, but since I won Hannah's giveaway in April (yeay!!) it was free for me! Thanks, Hannah! 



Hannah gave me permission to blog the recipe, thus sharing a little taste of heaven with you guys.  This recipe tastes as creamy, rich and decadent as the most premium dairy ice creams. Thanks, Hannah! 

PB Bombshell Ice Cream

1 Cup Creamy PB 
*Trader Joe's for me!They have a great organic one, too, made from Valencia peanuts*
1/3 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
                          1/3 cup White Sugar I used 2/3 c. for a little added sweetness
2 cups Non-Dairy Milk (unsweetened almond or full-fat soy)
OR, what I used: 1 can of Organic Coconut Milk OR combo of both
(Combo would be like 1/2 can coconut milk + 1 cup soy or almond milk, etc.)
1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch 
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (I used Sharffen Berger 62%) or
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (kiddo doesn't like nuts in things, so none for us) and
Hannah calls for 10 chopped sandwich cookies, which would be great, but I didn't have any.

Note: You guys know I try to use organic ingredients whenever possible, so mine was made with organic PB (TJ's Organic Valencia PB), and organic sugars (TJ's organic white & brown), and organic coconut milk (Native Forest, which is also BPA free).  Only things not organic were the cornstarch, salt and chocolate.

Method: 
In a medium saucepan, whisk peanut butter through salt and heat over medium heat until bubble begin to break on the surface and the liquid is thickened.  Whisk and scrape sides & bottom of pan frequently until the mixture comes up to temperature.  Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature (stirring every so often to quicken the cooling if you want).  Chill in the fridge for at least three hours.  Then churn in your ice cream maker following the directions of your particular machine.  Add cookies or chopped chocolate or nuts in the last few minutes of churning to incorporate.  Also, I add my vanilla at the very end because when I have added it at the beginning, I have had it totally prevent my ice cream from freezing (it's the alcohol, but alcohol-free vanilla tastes yucky to me, so just add it at the very end or skip it altogether).  Transfer to an airtight container, tupperware, etc. and freeze in the freezer for about three hours or until solid.  If you used coconut milk it will be VERY firm, so I take mine out and let it sit on the counter for about ten minutes before scooping.

Enjoy!







My husband wants me to make this into an ice cream pie :-)

Stay cool, everyone, gonna be hot for a while longer.  Gonna run out and check my zucchini now.

XOXO


12 comments:

  1. SO happy to see that you're enjoying your prize- I'm glad it went to someone who would really put it to use! Great photos too, they make me want to churn up a fresh batch right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, thank you so much again FOR the prize! And, I am humbled by your compliment about my photos, thank you so much!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I am so anxious to try this one! It looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Tami! That French Vanilla one that you posted from Hannah's book looked unbelievable, too, I'm gonna try that soon...maybe after the corn one! Or before? Haha, they all look so good and I have so many of the ingredients on hand, it's hard to choose!

      Delete
  3. That looks and sounds great. Adding an ice cream maker to the list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that is about $60 on amazon, and works great. Have had it for years and got it as a gift, so not sure what the original cost was. I don't think you need to spend more $$ for a "newer" model, but I haven't tried the newer one so I'm not sure. I'd just buy Hannah's book with your leftover cash!

      Here's the link to the model I have: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342529347&sr=8-3&keywords=cuisinart+ice+cream+maker

      Get one!!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Ha! The newer model is the same price! ($60) So funny.

      http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-21-Frozen-Yogurt-Ice-Sorbet/dp/B003KYSLMW/ref=dp_ob_title_def

      Delete
  4. Holy hell I want that book. I mean, I wanted it before, but now...! I've just started using an ice cream maker and it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!? My ice cream maker's bowl has a permanent place in my freezer (I keep my nuts inside it, so it doesn't take up that much precious space).And, definitely get the book, there's no better way to spend $12!!

      Blog post to come on another one of her ice creams, probably the most interesting and delicious ice cream I've EVER tasted.

      XOXO!

      Delete
  5. I just put my first batch into the freezer as I write this comment. This looked soooo good but I'm trying to avoid "refined sugar" so I used natural organic peanut only butter, and replaced the sugars with 1/3 cup of agave syrup and 1/3 cup of coconut butter (not oil, made from pulp of coconut). I replaced the chocolate with 1/2 cup of cocoa nibs and pan roasted my own peanuts in agave syrup, just for added flavour. Before going in the freezer I sampled some and WOW, I've been experimenting all summer with non dairy, raw, vegan etc ice creams YUK until now WOW so far this is the BEST and it's not even done. Can not wait to have some later with raw vegan brownies.

    ReplyDelete