Thursday, November 29, 2012

(V)Eggnog Cake with Spiced Whisky Glaze

Vegan Eggnog (Veggnog!) Cake with Spiced Whisky Glaze, anyone?


Recipe coming soon...(see below!)


I'll just update this same post with the recipe, OK?

XOXO

And, here it is!

VEggnog Cake with Spiced Whisky Glaze 
*Inspired by this recipe on Knead to Cook!*

2 EnerG Egg Replacer "Eggs"
This is 3 tsp. EnerG powder plus 4 T warm water, whisk thoroughly in a bowl and set aside.

3/4 Cup Organic White Sugar
1/2 Cup (one stick)Vegan Butter at room temperature 
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1.5 Cups SoDelicious Coconut "Nog" (It is thick and delicious!)
*Or, try my friend, Allysia's home made veggnog!
1 T Canadian Whisky (I like Seagram's V.O.)* 
*You can use any other brown booze you like, Grand Marnier for a little orange vibe would be good, as would Frangelico (for a hazelnut vibe) or Drambuie (but D. does have honey in it, just an fyi) or just spiced rum.

2 1/4 C. Flour* 
*I used half WWW and half AP
1/4 cup plus 3T (7 T. total) of Bird's Custard Powder (it's vegan!)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease a ten inch loaf pan (or mini loaf pans!) and set aside.  Whisk up the egg replacer and water and set aside.

In a large bowl (big enough to hold all your batter) cream the butter and the sugar together.  Stir in the extract, nog and whisky and combine well.  

Now, add your dry ingredients by sifting them in right over the big bowl.

 Here's the Bird's Powder! It has a cool, pinkish tinge to it.


 Sift the dry ingredients right into the wet ones.  This is one of my favorite baking tricks.

 See the pretty pink Bird's mixed in with the light brown WWW and the white AP flours?

 Don't overmix! Just mix until well combined.

Pour it into your prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Mine was done right at 50 minutes.  

P.S. I love this loaf pan and it is very reasonable, I bought two of them.

 Santa would be pretty psyched about this...

But it needs glaze!  Let the loaf cool completely (about one hour), then slide a piece of wax paper under your cooling rack.  

Glaze her up!

Spiced Whisky Glaze

One Cup Sifted Organic Powdered Sugar

Three Tablespoons Total of Vegan Eggnog + Whisky 
*I did 1.5 T of Eggnog and 1.5 T of Whisky
1/4 tsp Vietnamese Cinnamon *Penzeys if possible
Sprinkle of Nutmeg (no more than 1/8 tsp)

Mix thoroughly in a small bowl with a fork until it is the consistency and taste you prefer.  

Pour over your cooled Veggnog Cake and serve!

Happy Veggnoging, guys!

I think I'll make mini loaves of this and give them to the librarians at my beloved library :-)

Why mini loaves?

Because Santa stopped by today with an early Xmas gift!

OH YEAH.

Mini loaves for everyone--or, at least for librarians!








18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! It's written down I just have to type it up! Tonight, hopefully. I also want to make it again, in mini gift loaves!

      Delete
  2. Dawn, you're kind of a genius. :) Be sure to mention when you update this with the recipe so I don't forget to check it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kind of a genius, too, Miss Home Made Vegan Eggnog Lady!

      Bring the noise!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to explore the baking isle to see if we have any vegan custard powder around these parts! I love me a boozy loaf! And thanks for the shout out. :)

      Delete
    3. I ordered the Bird's Custard Powder on amazon as an "add-on," it wasn't too expensive doing that. Or you can just get a case of it (also not that expensive, I just didn't think I needed a case of it!).

      And, you're welcome!

      Delete
  3. GUYS!! NEXT UP IS FRUITCAKE!! I am in R&D mode as we speak...

    I can't wait for FRUITCAKE!! It WILL be done right.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh... that looks great! ////ps? are you a librarian???? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually scared of librarians. They intimidate me with their power, their suspecting looks, their wary tone of voice, their eyeglasses...so much so that I feel I must appease them with mini loaves to get in, get my books and get out unscathed!

      Delete
  5. So this is what inspired that epic Facebook status?! ;) Looks absolutely delicious and festive. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit cake, fruit cake, fruit cake! I made you out of clay (no!) and when you're baked and ready, a fruit cake I will play, OH! Fruit cake, fruitcake fruit cake...:-)

      P.S. Found candied/dried kiwis at Wegmans! OH YES. Wasn't sure what was going in that was pretty and green, but, now, I see!

      XOXO!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks!! You can make your own nog with Allysia's recipe (linked up there) if you want to try it! Basically a creamy, nutmeg spiced sugary drink :-)

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dawn!
    I've got an award for you over at my blog http://www.skinny-vegan-food.com/2012/12/one-lovely-blog-award.html
    Feel free to play along or ignore it if you want!
    Love & smiles xxx

    ReplyDelete